NORA North Atlantic Hydrogen Learning Network
The network is a knowledge sharing collaboration between the regions of Canada (Prince Edward Island), Iceland, Faroe Islands, Orkney Islands, and Norway . The overall objective of the network is to generate, use and share knowledge about hydrogen value chains in remote areas. This will contribute to the implementation of more sustainable energy systems in such areas:
• natural resource driven, decentralized, robust and self-sufficient,
• renewable and zero emission,
• socially accepted, locally owned and fair distributed,
• financially viable and value creating
In 2018-2019 the learning network produced the following :
1. A roadmap for implementation of hydrogen infrastructure in the NORA region
2. A generic tool kit for planning local hydrogen communities in remote areas
3. A best practice business case for a complete hydrogen value chain/ecosystem in remote areas, with both onshore and offshore applications
4. The international community energy challenge held in the Faroe Islands 13-22nd May 2019. This brought together 4-6 students from each region to work on real-world energy challenges put forward by businesses and local organisations.
The Network is applying for funding from NORA for 2020-21. The focus of the network will be to organise an annual Hackathon.
The Hackathon conferences in Prince Edward Island in 2020 and in Bergen in 2021 will bring together students from 5 different universities from countries around the North Atlantic to work together on specific projects provided by international partners both industrial and institutional. The specific outcome will be project reports and the dissemination through various channels of results, new ideas and inventions. In addition, an important outcome will be the development of international relationships and networks between the participants, students and professionals as well as universities and regions and simultaneously connect them with direct industrial players providing interesting cases for the students to solve.